Friday, January 21, 2011

Small Study/Larger Painting



These were painted after driving along the Umpqua River from the ocean to I-5. We were taken aback by the beauty of this valley. The river was winding through golden hills and the water was very clear. A few farms and little traffic, it was one of the rare places that seem beyond time. I`ve since learned it`s great for fly fishing.
As I arrived for my opening two weeks ago, a class at the Center was finishing. A group of maybe 15 women had been painting with their guest instructor. [every month they hire a different teacher] The group has been painting together for 25 years!! The January guy couldn`t make every Saturday so they asked me to fill in. That`s what I will do tomorrow. These ladies are not amateurs, I suspect I`ll learn something too. I`m going to demonstrate how to make Yupo behave.

4 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

ooooo the joys of Yupo........won´t you all have fun! And these golden fields...a dream world.

Maureen said...

These are lovely, full of joy and a sense of discovery and wonder (yes, I'm reading into them how they make me feel). It's interesting to see how you go from the study to the larger painting.

Have fun with the class!

kate said...

Yes! Yupo lives! Those lucky painters! Have lots of fun and take photos so we can see the results!

Jala Pfaff said...

Love these studies. In their isolation, they look like broccoli. :)
BTW, funny about your cats and their loud voices. Ironically, our Siamese rarely talks and when he does it's softly. However, my previous black cat had one of those drive-you-crazy voices.