Sunday, June 3, 2012

Geothermal Study 3

I use abstraction to distill the essence of a place as I experience it. When I was looking at these geothermal pools, I wondered how or if to paint them. When something is so inherently otherworldly, what is the subject? Would anyone recognize it? What about them is so compelling? I`ve thought a lot about this and researched the art of Yellowstone. I found very few paintings of these strange openings into the earth. I don`t know if I can paint them 'right', but I can`t stop thinking about them. Watermedia on Yupo 12x9

4 comments:

Ruth said...

They are compelling because they are so unique! Even within the park, each feature has its own particular characteristics, and each one is so very different from the usual streams, bogs, swamps puddles etc. that we see in day-to-day life. Good-on-you for getting them down on paper so simply & eloquently!

Maureen said...

The subject is your vision of these pools as they've settled in your mind. I'm glad you are not trying to show them realistically.

There's a lot of beauty, as well as challenge, in the abstraction.

Kim Rempel said...

That is fantastic. Wow.

Jala Pfaff said...

SO cool.