Friday, July 13, 2012

North Umpqua Study 2

Another study from my recent trip along Oregon`s most beautiful river. Without any forethought really, this series is painted almost entirely with acrylic. With many layers, using the hairdryer often. In some places the paint is fairly thick. My usual technique on paper is to begin with watercolor, mess up, then correct with acrylic, trying to maintain a sense of transparency.

In my explorations with Tumblr, I keep seeing the work of Felix Vallotton, a Swiss painter associated with the Nabis. I swear, those guys just keep on giving a hundred years later. I love how they use ordinary life, then infuse it with contrasting patterns, vivid color, and disproportion to give those moments and views an electric presence. Vallotton`s landscapes especially, are charming in the best sense of the word.

watermedia on Yupo 12"x9"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like the light quality in this piece.

Melody Cleary said...

Lovely !

Dee Doyle said...

Lovely as always! I am curious as to how you get acrylic to "stick" on Yupo ...