Thursday, August 1, 2013

Flood Studies + Klaus Fussmann



These recent small watercolors were based on walks along the Tualatin River last December. Some colorful autumn leaves were still hanging on in thickets along the inundated shoreline. Those bright colors and tangled branches were a compelling contrast to the surging muddy water. I did them on a Fluid watercolor block 6x6 inches. I like this surface much better than more expensive papers such as Lanaquarelle.

                                                                 Klaus Fussmann

Speaking of watercolor, this artist makes magic with it. Though he uses a variety of mediums, it`s the work on paper that I get excited about. His style is direct, confident, awkward and completely winning. He gets the essence of a landscape down perfectly with a true economy of means. Take a look;





available work in my studio

6 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

These are gorgeous studies, Randall. Thanks also for turning me on to Klaus Fussmann!

RH Carpenter said...

I didn't think these were watercolors; you've captured the depth and deep colors of oils in these works - and thanks for introducing me to another interesting artist (I think my favorite of his is the dark sea you chose to highlight here on the blog).

Melody Cleary said...

Love these studies. Do you sell them??

Randall David Tipton said...

Yes! $75, they are 'daily' paintings.

Jo Reimer said...

Love the studies, Randall. I have a couple of 6x6 blocks and maybe I'll actually use them with your encouragement.

Atul Pande said...

Love the Flood Studies. The transparent layers of color are awesome.