Saturday, April 26, 2014

Coastal Rainforest[s]

                                                            watermedia on Yupo 10x5

 Once again this configuration of trees near the Sitka Center has claimed my attention. They are growing in a little watershed flowing off Cascade Head. I walked by them almost daily when I was there. I don`t understand why something purely visual would have such a grip. There is no story here, yet this arrangement is so compelling I would just stand there and admire all the different elements. It`s an archetype for me, something I`ll see even in a dream. Below are some earlier versions.
 Twenty one paintings left the studio this week for three different galleries. All of my representatives do the majority of their business in the summer so spring has become a very busy time. Big relief to get them out the door and on their way to new lives [hopefully] out in the world. My relationship with finished work is as conflicted as everything else in being a painter. I`m protective and often proud but once they`re gone, they`re gone. It`s strange to care so deeply about something and then be so utterly detached.

                                                                oil on canvas 40x30

                                                    oil on canvas mounted on panel 12x9

                                                                  oil on panel 14x11


updated available work now in my studio



1 comment:

Libby Fife said...

I am not sure which version I like more-glad that I don't have to choose!

Your statements about that configuration of trees interests me. I don't have an answer for why a place or object is so compelling when there is no obvious meaning for that pull. It's probably worth thinking about but maybe not too much. Sometimes it is just nice to have that sort of thing available without too many strings attached.

Glad that your work went out into the world. Many people are going to be surprised and happy:)