Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Logjam

                                                            Logjam oil on canvas 56x40


 This is the second  image of this logjam  I`ve painted. Both come from the fleeting glimpse I had of this chasm as I was driving down Mt. Rainier a couple of years ago. There was such a brute wildness to the scene, it made a deep impression. Painting from memory has a unique freedom to it. Rock, trees, clouds and water are quite forgiving, I just keep moving the paint around until it looks 'right'. Years of observation and drawing get me close enough to allow improvisation once I begin.


                                                                   Magnolia I-pad drawing





work for sale in my studio






1 comment:

E.M. Corsa said...

And that's the key isn't it? Knowing your subject well enough to be able to recapture it from memory. I can do that with animals but not with clouds. Must pay better attention.