Sunday, January 25, 2009

Black and White Orchard


These small paintings I`ve posted recently were painted on Meridian Drawing Paper made by Pentalic. It was 100% rag, about 72 lb., tough and heavily sized. It took watercolor beautifully. Because it was relatively inexpensive I felt free to try anything. For over 20 years I used this paper for everything. Then I ran out. Ordered 100 new sheets without a thought. When I went to paint on it I knew immediately something was wrong. It was like blotting paper. The paint sank into it and dried to a dull finish. The opposite of what it had been. Well, I researched it and the 'recipe' had been changed! Only a painter would understand what a calamity this was. In 2004 I didn`t paint a single watercolor. I`m still really upset. I`d pay handsomely to get some of the old stuff. Seems we all have a horror story like this. Painting is it`s own challege, we don`t need the distraction.

1 comment:

Suzanne McDermott said...

I'm so glad that you wrote about this. I completely empathize. That same thing has happened to me more than once. I worked on some St. Armand's paper that I loved, reordered from the factory in Canada and received an entirely new sort of surface. I worked with it but missed the old. Very recently, I ordered some Sennellier paper blocks for which I held high hopes. The pigment sank into the paper and almost disappeared. Also the blocks were sealed with something like rubber boot materials. Fortunately, I was able to return that. I hope that you find some new paper that brings out a new slew of beauties. Have you tried Lana blocks? I like both their hot and cold press, but that's just me. I'm nearing the end of my Indian Village and am not going to think about what I'll do after as I bought the end of what was available in the US.

Maybe you could contact Meridian to see if they have any of the old formula laying around in a warehouse. Just a thought.