Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Winter Night


I`m organizing a page of paintings for my website of New Mexico work. This was the first of many big watercolors I began in 1988. I was living in Chimayo in a derelict mobile home. After pushing the furniture out of the way, I`d unroll the paper, cut off a piece, put it in the shower to moisten, then slap it down on a wet sheet of plywood while crawling around the edges with a staple gun attaching it. My generous landlords gave me a very cheap rent which allowed me to concentrate on painting. I sure got a lot of work done.

1 comment:

Suzanne McDermott said...

This is a very exciting piece! I appreciate the constant inspiration you provide in your posts to continue on with the watercolor work I'm doing. Just the thing I needed to see and read after messing around this afternoon with not such great results. Thanks.