Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sunlight and Shade















Because this is a large painting, all but the final photo was taken in my studio. The lighting is great for painting but not photography. I hope the progression isn`t frustrating to follow with the fluctuating values and color. As always, I begin by just getting something, anything, down. Something to react to. I had a vague idea for a composition in mind but it took a really long time for something to spark. Basically I just keep re-painting the design, layer upon layer, until an insight or accident engages me. Then it`s a matter of balancing my intention, here the sensation of being in dense undergrowth, with the primary need for an aesthetically competent execution.

13 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

I really enjoy seeing the progressions of the piece...what a beautiful end result too.....what a dream world. It is so dense and lush,,,I wish I could get lost there:)

Jean-Baptiste Pelardon said...

Absolutly exciting, step after step. And obviously beautiful. Thanks for the lesson...

Glynn said...

The progression is stunning - it's watching the act of creation.

Maureen said...

Your process photos are always interesting to see. I especially note how you take bright light and mute it or shift and refocus its direction, enhance definition, add depth, erase bits of the realism into abstraction. I would call what you do masterful, not merely "aesthetically competent".

Don Gray said...

Thank you for posting this process series, Randall. Very informing to see the incremental changes.

Marilyn Russell said...

You are a true artist. I feel only those born with the ability to "feel" what should go on the canvas are the chosen. I thrill to the emergence of your final painting. Thank you for sharing the gestation of this lovely work.

Unknown said...

Your color pallet is so beautiful. I quite enjoy work like this which ignores hue realities & focuses more on value -using whatever color enhances the mood. LOVE it!

Stevie Denny said...

Thank you for sharing the progression of this piece. It is a beautiful painting -- I love the colors!

Stevie Denny said...

Thank you for posting the progression of this painting. The colors are absolutely beautiful.

Nathan Fowkes said...

It's a beauty!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely! You have created a dream world. I must say this painting is one of my favorites. It has a quite marvelous, ethereal quality. Exquisite use of color!
Hard to find adequate words.

Seeing the progressions was very interesting too.

SamArtDog said...

These are like watching clouds pass over the sun. Magic!

S. Etole said...

The colors are singing a most beautiful song.