Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fog on Mt. Talbert








Since I had painted this tree several times before, though smaller, the first session was more developed than usual. After the second, I thought I had lost it`s 'promise' and was confused how I managed that. As I proceeded I realized the difficulty was in the color intensity. Because I was painting fog, the close values were more tonalist. The challenge was to suggest the mist and the receding mountain while keeping the foreground sharp.

2 comments:

kate said...

Oh, thank you for that demonstration and the lesson in tonalism. Your final painting is wonderfully evocative of a foggy atmosphere.

I loved the Whistler painting, but wished he had left out the "falling rocket" part. I liked it better when it was just a magical sky. Titles! This was a lesson for me too. Don't tell your audience what to see.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

I really enjoy your fotos in a series like this...and with such a subject as fog,,,it was interesting to see how the piece
evolved.