Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Genesis


From my last abstract period, 12 years ago. I was trying to meld aspects of geology, atmosphere, weather, botany... into a nonverbal narrative. It was overwhelming and mostly unsuccessful. I turned to painting the creeks and forests near my home.
I`ve been asked to participate in an exhibition inspired by the late Irish poet, John O`Donohue; "The Inner Landscape of Beauty". He saw the attraction to beauty as a spiritual impulse and found parallels between our experience and feeling and the wilder landscape outside. A moving interview with him, shortly before his unexpected death at 53, can be found here. The venue is a new one for me; the Narthex Gallery of St. Francis of Assisi Episcopal Church in Wilsonville OR. I`ve been persuaded that my work is appropriate for this intersection of faith with art.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

I love these surprise pieces, a surprise because I didn't know of them. Of course, you know I'm crazy for your more abstract work.

To participate in the O'Donohue-inspired exhibit? Fabulous! Please ask someone to videotape it. I have a number of O'Donohue's books, and often quote his words when seeking to give friends solace. He died much too young.

The Episcopal Church, by the way, is doing marvelous things to promote art and faith. My friend Diane is responsible for the work at the ECVA, which features online art exhibits (often very fine artists) and has an art blog.

Can't wait to know more about this show.

RH Carpenter said...

Fascinating to see where the road has taken you on your artful journey. I like where you are now a lot and think your present works does flow along with spirituality and the essence of nature. I wish I could see this show - and congratulations for the invite to show your work in conjunction with this event.

Lorna Cahall said...

How wonderful. There is no doubt that your work belongs there. If you wanted to name it from a Catholic vocabulary, you could say that it is filled with the Holy Spirit. (Don't want to spook you!)I also love the writings of O'Donohue. Treating nature as sacred is the heart of so many traditions.
Please let people know when the exhibit is taking place.

Jo Reimer said...

You are absolutely on the right track to participate in this exhibition. When I think of your work I realize that you paint light in a remarkable and unique way... and that's how i sometimes think of God's spirit... a holy light, full of color and shape and movement. I'm anxious to see what you do with this.

David Page Coffin said...

Let's see more of these old abstracts; love this one!