Saturday, April 13, 2013

Camellia

The demonstration painting I did for the watercolor class this morning. I asked everyone to bring in something to paint. Since it`s April, we all brought flowers. I set a sprig of camellias in front of me and drew a quick sketch of them in water soluble graphite. Then I began adding color. In short order I was at the classic dilemma, the figure ground relationship. Leave everything empty and white except the flowers? Or try to integrate those blank spaces into a relationship with the subject? That is easier said than done. Working light to dark in transparent watercolor, I think it`s best to begin much bolder than comfortable, knowing the white surface is distorting. If something unequivocal is laid down early, it can set the tone for the whole process. Determining values becomes much clearer.
watercolor, acrylic and ink 13.5"x13.5"


some available work

No comments: