Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lotus!

                                                watermedia on Yupo 14x11"

 Years ago the once esteemed art supplier, Daniel Smith in Seattle, started getting cute by offering themed color sets and goofy paints made from obscure minerals. Trying to be 'fresh' I`m sure. They were relentless in promoting these useless items in their catalogs and I always wondered who would buy them? Well, someone died and I came into possession of several tubes of these Daniel Smith 'exclusives'. Here are some of the names; Genuine Zoisite, Sedona Genuine, Undersea Green, Blue Apatite Genuine, and Duochrome Arctic Fire. As if painting isn`t difficult enough with normal color! But they were free so I`ve played with them and all of those hand ground from 'rare' minerals are simply muddy earth tones that granulate. I hope they weren`t expensive!
 My new supplier is Cheap Joe in North Carolina. Good prices, simple website, no obnoxious promotions and fast delivery. I`m very pleased.

I admit my bias. Even though I use it, I have no interest in photography. Cameras make me crazy and the terminology pushes me over the edge. Every time I have to submit something with 300 dpi I spend 15 minutes with a Wikipedia explanation and still don`t understand. I wait for John to get home from work.
All that said, I run into interesting images with some frequency. Check out Cody Cobb`s photography. He`s also from the Northwest and he has the brave heart of a poet.


paintings for sale in my studio

Portland Open Studio Tour [Oct]

5 comments:

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Randall,
Very nice painting--unique, as always.
I visited your link to the photographer and really like his work.
Have a nice day tomorrow!
Sincerely,
Gary.

Libby Fife said...

Oh boy! I am with you on all counts for this one. Painting is difficult enough and I hate it when the names on the tubes don't indicate what is inside. Makes me nuts. And I appreciate photography and people who speak that language but I suck at it badly. I am trying to get better with my compositions (and terminology) which is about all I can hope for at this point.

Your lotus piece is lovely. I appreciate both the strength and delicacy of the whole structure.

Jo Reimer said...

Cody Cobb... wow. What an eye he has for landscape and the unusual!
I love your lotus and will enjoy watching you paint Saturday evening.

E.M. Corsa said...

The composition of this painting is just fabulous!

I have to laugh because I can't live without Daniel Smith's Quinacridone Burnt Orange. Funny how you shop in my state and I go to Daniel Smith.

E.M. Corsa said...

And yes, Cody Cobb's work is great. Brings to mind, Andy Goldsworthy, just a different medium.