Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Arroyo



The inspiration for this painting was in Northern California but it soon became New Mexico. I ran in the dry river beds of Santa Fe County for so many years, they have stayed vivid in my memory.
The geometric image is a section of my beautiful new quilt made by the talented Jo Reimer. Not only is it gorgeous but it`s also the perfect weight; not too warm but heavy enough so that when making the bed, it floats back down nicely into place. She doesn`t make these anymore and I feel quite lucky to own it. I love functional art that is well designed, it truly improves the quality of my life.
The Brush Creek Ranch near Saratoga Wyoming,has invited me to be an artist in residence this spring! It`s a new program at an established resort. It will be great to spend time in the Rockies again.
Four openings remain for the workshop I`ll teach in Oregon City at the end of January. I`ll be talking about and working with mixed watermedia, using experimental techniques with an emphasis on the landscape. Please write me if you have any questions.
Also, a show of my largest work will be on exhibit at the Hanson Howard Gallery in Ashland Oregon next summer, opening July 6.

4 comments:

Jo Reimer said...

I'm glad you've photographed the quilt. I didn't. I'm so glad you love it.
This is a wonderful painting... as usual.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on the artist residency and the gallery showing. Brush Creek looks like a gorgeous resort in a gorgeous locale. I anticipate wonderful painting coming from there.

I like Jo Reimer's work a lot. Wonderful collages!

Lovely quilt and painting, too.

SamArtDog said...

I love when the cottonwoods turn gold enough to color the air itself. You've caught some of it here.

Jala Pfaff said...

Congratulations!
Lovely work, as ever. I particularly like the "gray foggy" sort of atmosphere in the most recent posted.