Sunday, November 6, 2011

Winter Slough


In this month of November, I`m teaching a watermedia class on Saturdays. This was the demonstration painting I did yesterday. I asked everyone to try and paint something from memory, the idea being they would remember what most impressed them. Because I had been to Minto Brown Island just days before, I had the sloughs and trees in mind. I also wanted to show how something full of detail, such as a tangle of bare branches, could be suggested through pure 'painterly' means. Individual trees could be ignored to emphasize the atmosphere of the whole.

4 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

This is a marvelous demo because I see how well selected are the key visual cues to make a dramatic landscape.

Ruth Armitage said...

So how does one find out about the opportunity to take a class with you? I always seem to read about them here, but with no advance notice, or place to sign up!

Jo Reimer said...

So lovely! You nailed the bramble look of a riverbank. I like the one spot of green, hanging on to summer.

kate said...

This is a good example of your command of composition. Those shapes just make this. And, of course, the reflection and the bloom just add interest.