Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Plein Air Watercolor on the Calapooia


Though I don`t do it often enough, it`s always fun to paint on location with friends. I don`t think I get more 'authentic' paintings by doing so, it`s just a fine way to sink into summer. Yesterday Ruth Armitage took me to her family`s farm near Albany and we painted on the bank of the Calapooia River. The oak forests created a canyon of trees with the river slowly flowing through it. She gave me a piece of Terra Skin 'paper' to try, and it`s sort of like Yupo. Made from powdered stone, it`s also non-absorbent but with a little more grip. Beautiful breezes dried our work quickly.
watermedia on Terra Skin 14"x11"



Available Work

6 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

Such a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Beautiful, Randy:)

Jo Reimer said...

Gorgeous piece.

Hal Wright said...

Love the vibrant colors in this piece, Randall. Also, it was fun to see how you and Ruth interpreted the same scene. You're both so talented.

Linda Rothchild Ollis said...

Randall,
Spontaneous and fresh!
I like the design and shapes, also.

Melody Cleary said...

Wonderful! I just read up on Terra Skin. Is it archival Randall?