Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Rainforest Bog

                                                        watermedia on Yupo 20x26

 This happened on the weekend and I like it. I`ve had a bunch of stinkers lately so having something I want to study feels good. On a walk along Tryon Creek last week I had a look at a small bog from a trail above it. The water was clear and the mud underneath was visible. Without leaves on the trees the sky was reflected and the surviving winter plants were glowing. The view was spatially very complex and ambiguous. Painting it required layering which is a tricky task on Yupo. When I had as much watercolor transparency and incident as the 'paper' could hold, I dried it slowly and vigilantly with a hairdryer. Then I sealed it up with Krylon Matte Finish and dried that thoroughly. Next was a coating of acrylic matte medium which also completely dried. The result was a chaotic watercolor entombed in plastic. Now I went in with translucent acrylics, using soft brushes, and knitted the thing into a whole.
 We`re about to travel to Palm Springs for a short and sweet 'honeymoon'! Never in my life did I expect to use that word for myself. The lesson to me is to never give up on humanity. An impulse deep inside wants us to grow past our animal origins and 'tribal' loyalties toward something better.


available work in the studio

8 comments:

Maureen said...

I like this, too.

Have a wonderful time in Palm Springs, you two!

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Randall,
Congratulations on using the "H" word for yourself! :) Have a wonderful time in Palm Springs, too.
We often spoke about taking a short vacation there, but never acted on it. I look forward to seeing your photos and reading your thoughts about the place.
I really like your latest painting and really appreciated learning just how much work is involved in projects involving Yupo. Whew!
Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Libby Fife said...

This one is lovely. It looks like things are evolving out of that mist. Would the word "primordial" be a little over-the-top? That is how it strikes me anyway.

Have a great time in Palm Springs. Right now should be a good time for the weather. We were there last year and took a short-ish hike in what I think was the Agua Caliente Indian Canyons. The sheer size of the rocks was really something. The terrain is so different. I hope you enjoy the area and your honeymoon:)

Jo Reimer said...

Beautiful, as usual. Libby's use of "primordial" is spot on!
Have a great trip.

Linda M said...

Randall, thank you for describing your process on this piece...it's lovely! You and John will have a great time in Palm Springs. So different compared to Oregon! Visit Indian Canyons if you have the chance. The Agua Caliente Band is a very small tribe but they are multimillionaires since at least half of the city is built on their land.

RH Carpenter said...

When you were discussing how you did this, I thought it wouldn't look good. But it does. Plus, there is a mysterious depth to it, you know immediately you're looking down from above and looking deeply into that pond. Beautiful! Have a perfectly wonderful honeymoon trip!

Melody Cleary said...

Ditto to what Linda M. said - love hearing about the layering process on yupo. Have a great honeymoon, Randall!

Don Gray said...

Beautiful, luminous and poetic painting, Randall. You are a Yupo wizard! Have a good time in SoCal.