Monday, March 12, 2018

Little Travels

                                                               Autumn Field oil on panel 12x12


                                                              Apple Bloom oil on canvas 20x20


 Blogging my new work feels a little like turning in a term paper. Yet many bloggers will say this sense of accountability is positive, keeps them on track, diligent in their process. That`s valid I suppose though showing you what I`ve done doesn`t seem to improve the quality of my painting. However I do feel uncomfortable, especially when I`m aimless. For far too long the state of my legs has been so distracting it`s thwarted any forward momentum or cohesion. When I`m myself again, I`m going to plant myself on Minto Brown Island until I have so many ideas for new work I feel like I will burst. That is when painting is the most fun. When the images demand to be made.


                                                    Untitled in Gray watermedia on Yupo 12x9


 I thought I might have one more Fanno Creek Ice Fog in me but that well had run dry. Instead this odd abstraction remained in the end. It reminds me a bit of some of John Altoon`s work from years ago. He was an early hero of mine though he had already died at 44 when I became aware of him.





Nature Perceived continues through the month of March at the Grants Pass Art Museum.
Ruth, Don and I were all in attendance for the opening. It was fun meeting some of the local artists and patrons.

                                                                                      Ruth

 I`m terrible at documenting anything, this photo doesn`t do Ruth`s intelligent face justice.
She has developed so quickly as an artist it`s hard to keep up. Five years ago she abruptly gave up the figurative work she had been doing for years to begin painting abstractly. The new paintings were loosely based on her memories of the family farm and her deep Willamette Valley roots. They were and are powerfully dynamic with a lyricism all her own. Sometimes I`ll gasp when seeing a new piece. She`s never predicable.


                                                                                       Don

At 22 Don flew to Chads Ford Pennsylvania, unannounced, to meet Andrew Wyeth. The artist was home and he critiqued Don`s work and showed him work of his own that had never been exhibited. The chutzpah and naiveté in the young Don is so endearing. He did indeed go on to become a professional artist and supported his family in the process. He is beloved by all lucky enough to know him.


                                                                               two of Don`s best


                                                                                Tiptons and Grays


 From Grants Pass we drove north to Roseburg to see a collector/friend and her new home perched above the glorious Umpqua River.






 From there went went upstream to visit Falls Creek, an exquisite little rainforest canyon I was fearful had burned in the huge fires of last summer. It was intact and gorgeous and I made my way carefully up the trail with my cane.






 Small road trips can be as refreshing as a longer vacation. It`s always good to get away and then return ready to take up our life again.


 Everyone has their position on the second amendment and most people agree something must be done about the mass murder so common in our country. I believe we owe it to our younger citizens to hear their thoughts on the matter as their lives are most at risk.
Listen to Brandon Wolf.
The political involvement of young people can stop a war. I`ve seen it happen. Beware these kids.



                                                            painting by Sophia Schama


Here`s another;


                                                                           by Sophia Schama

 Without anything literal, Schama`s work is drenched in nature. This is the kind of work that really captures my attention, I don`t want to stop looking.


Read any good books? I`d love to know what they are.
At the suggestion of a friend who was visibly moved when talking about it, I just finished 'Paris in the Present Tense' by Mark Helprin. I listened to the Audible.com reading by Bronson Pinchot.
It`s been a long time since I`ve heard a story as atmospheric and sensual as this with such an ethical protagonist. Highly recommended.


work for sale in my studio

6 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I looked at Sophia's work and felt like I was enmeshed in it! Wonderful.

It's great to get out of the house, even for a little while and even if it isn't far. It really helps. And I am glad that your show with Don and Ruth is going well. Don's murals were a great help to me at one point when I was trying to figure out how to paint a crowd of people . I thanked Don in an email and he seemed very friendly.

It sounds like you would like your life back. At least that is what I think you are saying. It's hard to keep going when your routine is upset. Minto Brown island is waiting for you:)

Keep going!
Libby

E.M. Corsa said...

Quite simply, "Untitled in Gray" offers me everything I desire in a painting. You manage to achieve what I am always striving for.

The photos are exciting. The thought that I may soon be living in that atmosphere is inspiring beyond belief.

As for books, I am reading one that is alarming and enlightening at the same time. It's called, "Food. What the heck should we eat." I am blown away by this.

Ruth Armitage said...

Thanks for this post: rich with new imagery from your talented brush and those of others! And I can't get over your kind words about my work. You have been a great encouragement to me as I floundered through this radical transition. You have my unending gratitude, friend!

Maggie Emm said...

Yes, sometimes keeping on going is all we can do - but despite your difficulties you are still doing more than that. You are an inspiration!

RH Carpenter said...

Another wonderful post and another new artist to explore. But just let me say how much I love your top painting. The dribs and drabs of cobalt teal lead me into that warm, sunny spot, but then I am impossibly led to the misty background - that soft, misty, wet space that surrounds and protects. I do love this one so much, and have returned to it several times since you posted.

Anonymous said...

very nice sharing and good work.



From: artworkpaint.com