Monday, February 13, 2012

Lacamas Creek


This is a painting that may never be finished. I began it at least four years ago and I haul it out every so often for another round. Maybe next time it will fall into place. My first friend in New Mexico is visiting and she came here to paint. She thought the mixed media technique I use could expand her practice beyond a lovely but time consuming way of working. So for three days now, she`s on one side of the studio and I`m on the other. I`ve been working on this again while she`s here.
In 1976, having dropped out of college and art school, I moved to Santa Fe to begin my life as an artist. I was 22 and knew no one in the city. By tremendous good fortune, the apartment I rented was a duplex. On the other side lived Kathy who would become one of my closest friends. She was a native and knew everything cool and beautiful about my new home, and gave me a thorough and gentle education about the unique culture of that state. Had she not lived next door, I`m certain my life would have taken a much different trajectory. Now she`s painting a few feet away from me on a rainy day in the completely different world of the Pacific Northwest.


oil on canvas 16"x12"

4 comments:

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

Blessed are the friends, for they shall embrace us and enhance our lives. Amen. (One of mine is Jayme. And you, too, Randall, in the fledgling status.)

kingfisher said...

What is there about this piece that you consider it unfinished? Looks good to me just as it is. I like the colors.

Unknown said...

I do notice that this painting is more literal than your later paintings. Having said that, I think you should know that this is the first time I have seen your work. Also, you might find it interesting that the post of this particular painting is what drew me to your blog in the first place.

Catavina said...

I see many works of art daily and must say I love this forest painting! It is beautiful just the way it is. You do fine work. Best wishes, Teia@escapeintolife(dot)com