Monday, July 29, 2019

Locality!

                                                Mid-winter oil on canvas 20x24  51x61 cm


 The local parks where I live serve me well. The bonds I vote for translate into maintained places that keep to a natural low key vibe. Just what I like. No picnic tables or swing sets, a visiting child can look for bugs. Most of my paintings, like the one above, come from my walks there. Occasionally though I get out of town and if the trip allows, into someplace wilder. Not back packing nature but more like car camping. I carried a pack in Boy Scouts but never since. I may give the impression I`m hiking in pristine wilderness but I`m really a mile away from my home.
 However last week, after a visit with nearby in-laws, we went to Silver Creek Falls state park. It`s a little chunk of old growth forest with multiple waterfalls and undisturbed rainforest vegetation. It`s a bath of green!












 With some really big trees





 As you can imagine, the atmosphere of the place is kind of reverent.
I just finished 'Barkskins' by the wonderful Annie Proulx and she shows the consequence of centuries of logging. Because she`s a great writer, I could stomach the descriptions of the brutal massacre of the New World`s forests and the incredibly arrogant attitudes behind it. It is ugly and the genocide of the people living in those places, will surprise no one. It is the story of our country entwined with the history of the timber industry. As an Oregonian, I`m glad I`m better educated now about the business that first produced the wealth of my state.
This was painted a couple of days later;



                                          Broken Promises oil on panel 20x16  40.5x51 cm



                                                       Spider Rock by Bob Stuth-Wade


 A couple of years ago, I was perusing the vast Valley House Gallery website when I stumbled across Bob Stuth-Wade and it was like a jolt of electricity. How had this magical realist ever gotten by me??
He knew the soul of the Southwest intimately, and his technique is so precise and skilled , it`s utterly baffling.Yet he is not a hyper-realist.  He works from life on location and his intentions seem to be humane, even loving. He takes realism to a rare, maybe holy place. A Stuth-Wade painting is a clear view into the miracle of existence.


                                                           by Bob Stuth-Wade


                                                                 by Bob Stuth-Wade



                                      Summer Meadow watermedia on paper 12x9  30.5x23 cm


I`ve done some more outdoor work myself. That meadow above is no other than the Bryant Woods meadow! That place just gives and gives to me.




    Mitch Burrell and me in a photo by Burt Jarvis. That was a fun day. I`m back to my old method of hauling around an awkward lawn chair and painting on my lap. The fancy easel I bought just wasn`t right and it took me a while to figure it out. The palette didn`t let me get close enough to the paper, I had to lean over it. Anyway being closer to the ground is nice. I was studying the grasses;



 which led to this;


                                              untitled  watermedia on paper 12x9   30.5x23 cm




                                                               by Richard Diebenkorn


 "I can tell as soon as he turns up at the garden gate. I can tell if he had a good day by the way he carries himself, whether he fumbles with his keys, whether he says hi. Just a few weeks ago, he came in and said 'it`s all over. I simply cannot paint!' The next morning he left early and stayed in the studio all day without putting a single mark on the canvas, just trying to look at it in a new way. And then he came home and said 'I think it`s the best thing I`ve done'." Phylis Diebenkorn, from the Diebenkorn Foundation on Instagram.



                                                                   by Michael Lipsey




work for sale in my studio

prints by Fine Art America







6 comments:

Libby Fife said...

The piece you did in reaction to the grasses is lovely! It's the bits of purples and oranges and greens at the bottom. Like a pile up of beauty! And I love that you had such a wonderful (painting) reaction to reading that book. What else do you do with such distressing knowledge but make some art in response?

Very happy that you have a place to go, with or without friends, that fills you up and feeds your art. We all need that sort of place:)

Another great post! Thank you:)
Libby

Lorrie Mcclanahan said...

Valley House Gallery is in Dallas, near enough for me to visit. They represent many high-caliber artists. One of them, Jim Woodson, was my painting instructor in college. I love that gallery, and it has a large, semi-wild garden attached. You’d feel right at home, Randall.

As usual, your translations of the settings you visited recently are original yet specific to place. Wandering through your paintings is similar to walking through nature in that each visit, each return, brings a new discovery. The bends and twists are seemingly endless, always rewarding.

E.M. Corsa said...

The grasses painting, pulls me right in, making me wonder what might be further in.

And I would love to see you paint that upturned tree; it's begging to be documented in its last days.

RH Carpenter said...

Wonderful post and the grasses you painted = well worth carrying a lawn chair around and working on your lap = gorgeous!!! I loved the bit about the painting not painted being the best thing he’d ever painted! Funny, but true in so many ways - what we imagine on that paper/canvas before we ever touch it can sometimes be so much more. And more is what we are looking for, I think.

Halinka said...

Przepiękne obrazy i urocze zdjęcia!!!

Randall David Tipton said...

Dziękuję Ci Halinka!