Saturday, August 10, 2024

Hope


                                                   Windbreak oil on canvas 40x30 inches


 The two weeks between the debate and the assassination attempt were really tough on my mental health. I felt adrenaline in my system daily as it seemed I was just waiting for slaughter in the fall election.We saw profound confusion in President Biden during the debate and that is not right for the most powerful office in the world. Both my parents had some dementia in their last years though it came and went. I believed Biden had to withdraw or he would be the primary issue throughout the campaign. Friends, family, AOC and Bernie Sanders disagreed. Thank God for Nancy Pelosi!! Again! Seriously, what a warrior! She could tell that the gains of the last 15 years were about to be wiped out. Her legacy along with Bidens' and Obamas' Again, it wasn`t that Trump gained votes from the disastrous debate, it was that so many would be discouraged and wouldn`t vote at all. The  cult of the Republican Party would sweep congress and the presidency and further embolden a radical supreme court.  At least now I have hope. Now we can stop what seemed inevitable after the bullet missed its target. Their convention was like the second coming of Christ and all I could feel was doom. We cannot let that happen. Trump should never be president again.
 I believe the marvelous upwelling of support for Kamala Harris began in utter relief. We will see if she has the character and imagination to meet this moment [looks promising!] and advocate for a future we want to live in.

I`m curious to hear what the [likely] Madame President has to say.



                                                                        Mendocino

When I was 18 I had a semester of art school in Mendocino Calif. The school was really oriented more towards crafts but I wanted to be there because of the extraordinary setting. My dorm room was adjacent to an immense meadow that ended at the headlands overlooking the ocean. Also at the edge was the local high school. A double row of Monterey Cypress had been planted at the western side of their football field to act as a windbreak. I would climb into the tree at the start of the row and look down the tunnel or out to the sea. It was truly awesome. The painting above was an attempt to paint those trees from a 52 year old memory. The painting below is a small egg tempera of my perch up in the tree that I did at the time.


                                                                Mendocino Cypress


 Below are new watercolors painted on location then cleaned up in my studio;
[no titles yet]










And this painting inspired by the local streams;



                                             Oswego Creek oil on canvas 16x16 inches




                                                                 David Shrigley


                                                                       David Shrigley


                                                                    David Shrigley


I love David Shrigley. I think his work would be called conceptual art. It`s his goofy humanity for me. Look at this wonderful video interview. Such a lovely man.








 The second annual Lake Oswego Open Studios will happen this year at the end of September. For those who don`t know what this is about, an open studios tour is a self guided visit to dozens of artists studios open that weekend for guests. By looking through the website, you can decide which artists you`d like to visit. I was a founding member of the board  and though I am no longer,  I love and support this introduction of artists to the community. It`s fun!
For many years I participated in the Portland version and realized there were enough artists in Lake Oswego to do our own. So we did. This may be the last year I do this however, it depends. No matter how prepared I am or how successful the event proves to be, there is always an emotional whiplash I don`t understand and it takes too long to work through it. Solitude really is best for creating.








click HERE for work for sale in my studio
HERE for prints










5 comments:

Donna Thibodeau said...

I love your Windbreak painting. The composition is great, but I love all the colors in the trees. I don’t know how you can do that and still make them natural trees. You have a way of seeing.

I don’t think Biden has dementia. I think he is a very poor speaker and slow at forming thoughts. In politics, a strong voice suggests strength. In his case he could see that he was dragging down the party by opinion and if the party doesn’t win, then the party can’t govern. It was important to him that they win, and Trump loses. I love the excitement of Harris and Walz. It is so nice to feel positive and uplifted after a very depressing time for the party. You are so right that Biden needed to step down. Now he can govern for six months without campaigning. I think Harris will be a winner.

Jim said...

It is always good to hear from you, and I look forward to receiving your posts on follow.it. I feel exactly the same way as you about our political situation and have renewed hope that a positive message will keep us free of another 4 years of destructive behavior from a man who is unqualified for any type of public service. All my beliefs about who we are as a nation have been destroyed by the negativity, dishonesty, and hatred spewed by "Trumpism". . . and the fact that so many people are willing to believe obvious lies. Just want to thank you for expressing your thoughts. Glad to know that I am not alone in this struggle.

As always, I am enjoying the new paintings as well. Love, Mendocino, California!

Teri said...

I also, like Donna, love Windbreak. Watched David Shrigley and was fascinated that he has so many ideas he can scribble, splash, draw, paint and get out of his brain! His comment on waiting for inspiration is something I have heard several artists say - you cannot wait for it. I am down for the first time with Covid and just so grateful that it is not 2020. Thanks Randall. Happy painting.

Randall David Tipton said...

Thank you Jim! Do you live in Mendocino? I would love to be there again just for a visit. Was planning the trip when covid came along.

RH Carpenter said...

The hope is shining through and you were right about Biden! I was hanging on and it would have been a disaster. Hindsight! And there is so much momentum and I think the little man is very afraid (as he should me). It’s not over yet but it’s looking good and people who were discouraged now are seeing that light coming through the trees (like your gorgeous first painting). Love the golden path painting and the arches of trees, too. You have been creative and imaginative in spite of your doubt about our political system. Get into your art room more and turn off the news (hmmm…wasn’t there a John Prine song…turn off your TV, move to the country, eat a lot of peaches, etc.? :)