Monday, January 11, 2010

True North


My impulse was simple; bare trees against the sky. As the painting developed, my thoughts were about 'wildness' and why that idea comforts. It`s irrational. Nature has brute ways. Then it all became about Canada and the 'north', in the same psychological role the 'west' was for America. [painters have plenty of time to think!] That led to the Group of Seven and their effort to give form to this myth, painting the wild and lonely north. Anyway, this is to Canada and Canadians, god love them.
Check out Gregory Hardy, a contemporary landscape painter from Saskatchewan.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I like your musings on this painting. I'll have to send the link to my Canadian friends.

Anonymous said...

I love this one Randall. I just found out that being the first born of a Canadian automatically gives me dual citizenship. I guess we can always flee if we need to.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a google account. "anonymous" is Sara