Thursday, October 18, 2012

Winter Storm Chimayo

It`s good to get away, it`s great to come home.
Mostly through the Swedish painter, Bo Franson`s Tumblr collection, I`ve discovered the work of the early 20th century American painter, George Wesley Bellows and his landscapes. I knew of his famous boxing pictures but had no idea he was such a sensitive observer of nature. He was especially good at conveying bleak weather conditions in gritty working environments. In looking through images of his work, I saw this painting and thought, I know exactly where that is! It`s the same view of the foothills and mountains in Chimayo New Mexico that I painted repeatedly when I lived there. Like the one above, painted around 1991.
watercolor on paper 36"x48"



Available Work

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Speaking of Bellows, I mention in today's All Art Friday spotlights the new documentary on DVD coming from the recent exhibition at our National Gallery of Art.

Like the strength and grandeur in 'Winter Storm Chimayo'.

RH Carpenter said...

Am I correct that this painting is one you did? Either way, it's unbelievably powerful. Excellent in every way! And thanks for turning me on to another artist - now to do some checking on his work. Have a wonderful weekend.

Ruth Armitage said...

I loved seeing his work in person this summer. Strong, expressive brushwork was my first impression... and wonderful value control. It is always so wonderful to see the paintings in the 'flesh', yours included!

David Page Coffin said...

Wow! Thanks for the Bellows landscapes tip, Randall; thrilling, muscular work! I'll be poring over these for days...