Friday, June 6, 2014

Cold Fog in the Morning

                                                                 oil on panel 20x20

This was once this.
I did my best back in March but it just wasn`t something I wanted to keep looking at. That is a simple standard I can trust for my work, does it hold my attention?
I didn`t really know her writing, but I knew her story. When Maya Angelou died last week I thought "Oh shit, we`re on our own now". She made an art out of survival. It was wonderful to hear the tributes and listen to the excerpts from her readings and speeches. I ran across this little video of a beautifully filmed conversation she had with the comic Dave Chappelle, someone younger but with great moral authority as well.

Watermedia on Yupo Workshop, July 19 and 20, Lincoln City OR

work for sale in my studio

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I like this current version, Randall; the changes echo something of the feeling of a cold morning in a way that the former version does not.

Angelou was an extraordinary person. Her writing, especially her poetry (which I know better than her prose), is muscular and direct. Hers is a voice I hope future generations learn to listen to.

Libby Fife said...

You are right on that very simple question: does this piece hold my attention? I like an easy standard like that:0

I didn't know a lot a bout Maya Angelou. After reading about her I can see what you mean. Perseverance and moral authority about sums it up. The interview was good too-the end especially-but the audio on my end wasn't great. I caught most of it though so that's good.