Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Dark Forest Creekbank + Re-do`s

                                                         oil on canvas 58x40"

I blew it up.
I liked the watercolor, it soon sold and I`ve wanted to see it again. So I made a big one. The scene is just a creekbank illuminated at just such a moment, deep in the July rainforest of the North Umpqua River. The air was hot and cool depending where in the canyon you stepped. With such dense growth, it was also very quiet. Our day had not begun well and we entered that forest dutifully because we were there. Within minutes our foul moods were dismantled by beauty. The creeks formed 'rooms' whenever the ground leveled and through that dim filtered light everything seemed to move, sort of flicker. I remember walking much slower than usual, literally stunned by the ethereal landscape.

Here are some paintings I`ve re-visited. They will be on view during the Portland Open Studio Tour, Oct. 11,12,18 and 19, 10 to 4pm. Come say hello.
5373 Lakeview Blvd.
Lake Oswego OR
97035

                                            Neahkanie Cliff acrylic on panel 24x18

                                       Late Autumn Tangle watermedia on Yupo 12x12"

                                            Rio en Medio 6 Study oil on panel 16x12"

Her work didn`t do much for me but I sure loved her! Listen to Agnes Martin tell it like it is. That woman walked her talk! She wanted to be alone. So she up and leaves NYC and her brilliant career behind and moves to the barren, art colony-free, windy west of New Mexico. Built her a house, then she lived in it.


work for sale in my studio


3 comments:

Libby Fife said...

All I saw was "I blew it up!" and wondered what exactly happened:)

The pieces are lovely. That confluence of shapes and activity catches my attention in a good way.

And I like that the forest calmed you down and redirected your moods. A natural remedy:)

SamArtDog said...

Ah yes. Keep an empty mind, and if something comes into it, you can see it.

I think God loves an empty mind.

Thanks so much for the Agnes Martin link.

Jo Reimer said...

I love the way you describe the setting that moves you to paint. I'm learning a lot about emotional responses to the environment and how you paint your emotion rather than the actual scene in front of you. I makes your paintings so much more meaningful to collectors of your work. Owning a Randall Tipton painting is almost like having a slice of you, in a nice way. I often find myself standing in front of one of your paintings, analyzing how I'm feeling because you've shown me how to do that through line and form.