Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving with Winter Rain

                 Winter Rain on the Slough oil on cradled panel 20x20

 At dinner tonight I asked John what he was thankful for. He gave me a baleful look and said "Don`t start". I was kidding as I know how much he dislikes seasonal piety. But after a pause he began to list them and I was included. Such a simple thing to just stop and think of the good stuff. Yet I don`t often enough.
Once a year we`re collectively called upon to do this. Let`s give it some attention, let`s remember to do it.

 When I posted the following poem in 2009 my father had recently died and my brother the year before. So had Maureen`s. I posted it again last year and now once more. She crafted this tender poem that assures us families remain families.

Thursday, November 26, 2009


Thanksgiving-Rain in a Coastal Forest 2


For those families once whole with the living, my friend Maureen Doallas has written a poem. Republished with her permission;

Thanks Given (Poem)

Thanks Given

We were nine.
We were eight.
We are seven.

We were together.
We are apart.

We were mother and father,
five daughters,
two sons:

Together. One.

Apart

In Virginia and Florida,
New York and Tennessee,
in Georgia

We were a family.

We are a family
come together
with spirit,
with ghost

Eyes looking down,
looking up,
looking out

To a hillside in Arlington,
to a headstone in Venice:

Two to make
seven into nine.

Lips pressing thank yous
on shadows of air
breathed in breathed out
paused

To save
for blessings
round tables

Together,
apart,

As one.

Copyright © 2009 Maureen E. Doallas. All Rights Reserved.

On Saturday we`ll drive south to visit John`s parents as we usually do after the holiday. We always include a visit to Minto Brown Island. This incredible combination of nature preserve, wetlands, dog park, farm, playground and bike trails is the crown jewel of Salem. Its good citizens appreciate it too! I`ve been here in some truly inclement weather and still found it hopping. It`s big enough for everyone and I hear it will soon be directly connected to downtown by pedestrian paths and bridges. Our modest state capital is getting sophisticated!
Oregon dreams big. A hiking trail is in the works to connect Portland to the coast 90 miles away! Two things unite everyone in this state no matter the political persuasion, income, ethnicity, location, age or occupation. Everyone really loves nature and being out in it, and everyone gardens. Everyone. Walk into any nursery in April and it`s a frenzy of activity. Get this, there is an organization that will come take out your lawn, turn the yard into a vegetable garden, maintain it and give you some of the harvest. The rest going to the food bank! Thank God for Oregon, IT is something I`m grateful for!

The new painting up at the top is of Minto Brown. Here are some others, I`ve done many.

                        Cold Fog on the Slough oil on panel 12x12

                     Minto Brown March oil on canvas paper 16x12

              Storm over Minto Brown watermedia on Yupo 15x20

                          Edge of the Marsh oil on panel 8x8

updated work for sale in my studio [38 additions]

open studio/demonstration Sat. Dec 13, 10 am to 11:30. Oil painting, which is nearly identical to my watermedia technique.
5373 Lakeview Blvd
Lake Oswego OR
97035



4 comments:

Maureen said...

I'm grateful for your friendship and support, and so pleased you and John have each other. May your table be ever bountiful.

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Randall,
What a beautiful post. Beautiful feelings and beautiful art.
The paintings you've shared here today are fabulous in their colors, compositions and emotive qualities.
They draw me in and I can feel the dampness and chill and smell the outdoors.
Here we are, living in one of the sunniest and comfortably warmest places on the planet, yet I'm powerfully drawn to these paintings. Go figure! It takes a great artist to pull this off, Randall, and I'm thankful to know you and your work.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Libby Fife said...

All of the pieces shown resonate with me somehow in one way or another. Cold Fog on The Slough is particularly nice:)

You are always part of a family somehow, no matter the configuration or time that passes or who is left and where they are. A lovely poem and something to consider each and every day. Happy Thanksgiving to you and John and your family. I am thankful for being able to visit with you during the year.

Melody Cleary said...

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, Randall....wonderful art and poem...thank you for sharing it all.