Wednesday, October 22, 2014

New Mexico Mountains

                                                          watercolor 14x11

 For the last demonstration of the studio tour I chose to paint a view I saw daily in New Mexico and painted repeatedly. Not too many watched me for this one which was lucky, I was lost for a long time.
 I mentioned it to some of my visitors and another time on this blog but I`ll announce it again. In lieu of teaching, I`m going to be having a demonstration/conversation in my studio on the second Saturday of the month at 10 am. I do have technical information I`d be happy to share and opinions aplenty. If you`d like to see how I do things, come on by. The first is Saturday Nov. 8.
5373 Lakeview Blvd
Lake Oswego OR 97035

Here are more paintings of this view from different vantage points.

                                                       oil on canvas 48x70 1987

                                                      oil on canvas 20x20 1988

                                                 watercolor on paper 36x48 1989


And a hero of mine, George Bellows, painted it too nearly a hundred years ago. His visionary late landscapes are some of the most feverish and emotional I`ve ever seen. They give me chills!
All of his work can be seen here.


work for sale in my studio


2 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Well, if that is the result of being lost for awhile, sign me up:)

What a great view and a wonderful set of renditions. I particularly like that last one. (They are all dramatic but that one stood out.)

Thank you for the link for George Bellows. I was only familiar with his fight scenes I guess and so missed his landscapes. His seascapes and water scenes in particular are really something. They are alive and active in a really good way.

RH Carpenter said...

What gorgeous paintings! I would have been right at your shoulder, seeing what you were doing every step of the way - you'd have had to push me out of the way or, like a surgeon, say, "Hand me that number 8 round, stat!" ha ha