Monday, March 11, 2013

Kauai 4

I`ve always avoided painting sunsets. The odds of painting a cliche are about 95%. But we all love to look at them! The ones in New Mexico were far and away the most spectacular I`ve ever witnessed. On a summer evening, especially after a rain, the whole sky, every bit of it would turn into a theater of moving color. It would seem to last for hours. In Hawaii I saw a different type. Because of the latitude, the day ended quickly and the sunset was brief but often radiant. Probably from the humidity. It would proceed from some rosy clouds, then the air itself became pink, then me too. As darkness fell, high up in the sky, some clouds still caught the last of the fading sunlight.
oil on cradled panel 20"x20"

2 comments:

Maureen said...

You might avoid painting sunsets but you do clouds so well! And this is a lovely oil. I'm partial to your use of reds in this way, as I think you know.

I have to agree with you about the New Mexico sunsets, though I haven't been to Hawaii. Also, for me, nothing beats seeing stars in the night sky while driving on the high peaks in Colorado.

RH Carpenter said...

Gorgeous and not over-the-top at all.