Thursday, January 14, 2016

Fen Forest

                                                              Fen Forest oil on canvas 20x16


 Finally a new oil painting! A fen is a wetland and this one is Oxbow Slough on Minto Brown Island. At the water`s edge, the bare lichen covered trees are a chaotic tangle of brittle branches. I was there last weekend with my camera and in my painting clothes knowing it would be muddy. Maybe I looked like a groundskeeper because two foreign families stopped me for information. I had to tell them I was a tourist too. That island makes me wish I lived in Salem!

 It`s been beautiful out there! We are in our tiny brief winter and I`m trying to get out in nature as often as possible. The stark clean landscapes will soon be budding for the annual onslaught of green. Now is the time to see the rich colors of winter.


                                                                Oswego Creek


                                                                Oswego Lagoon


                                                               Durham Park


                                                                   Minto Brown Copse


 I was so proud of our president`s executive action on background checks for gun sales and even prouder to see his tears of grief for those children just mowed down at Sandy Hook elementary school. It takes a brave man to show his emotions in public. Gun violence is a national disgrace we must confront with stubborn common sense and rigorous new laws. I`m all for the second amendment as it is written, and for sportsmen and honest self defense. But no one goes deer hunting with a machine gun.
 Then in the State of the Union address, he used the phrase 'unconditional love', that ultimate Christian challenge and dilemma. How do we love our enemy? Do you think any Republican presidential candidate ever considers that question?

President Obama`s many accomplishments are explored in this article from Politico.


                                                          Winter Still Life by Fred Cumming


 Fred Cumming is known best for his moody evocative seascapes of the English coast. Yet this still life is one of my favorites. The contrast between the bleak slushy field outside the window and the humble warmth within is so touching. Sort of like a microcosm of civilization valiant before the brute forces of nature. The guy is a visual poet! His website has a new video of him painting and here is an older one of him working on location.


                                                Chimayo Spring watermedia on paper 36x20 1988


 Those of you in truly cold places may be dreaming of Spring already. Be patient and try to find pleasure in the winter too. I tell myself this every summer when the heat is oppressive and the air is dirty. I want to enjoy my life in every season.


work for sale in my studio



3 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Back in the saddle again! And good for you! A beautiful rendition of a place I know that you really enjoy.

I know just what you mean about embracing all of your time. I am trying to enjoy aspects of the summer heat and to not be overtaken by the fear of fire during that time. The winters here are cold and I am trying to enjoy that too on some level.

And thank you for the photographs. It's nice to see what you see.
Libby

E.M. Corsa said...

Fen Forest has topped my list of favorites. I get that feeling of chill with hope tucked inside.

Like you, I try to enjoy every day, but I must admit, winter is my favorite. Whether it's because my island returns to me again after the onslaught of tourists or just the fact that you can see life as it really is; tree skeletons, still water with a layer of ice... Maybe it's both of those reasons. Have you ever noticed just when you can't take another hot day or one more cold blast of air, or one more disappointment it all changes? Just like life.

RH Carpenter said...

Not only do you share your own lovely paintings, you introduce us to another artist (almost always artists who are new to me). Thanks so much for reminding us to try to find beauty in winter...it's out there (or maybe it's in here?)